Friday, November 20, 2009

Project Runway Season 06 Finale

Honestly, I didn't think this past season was great at all. None of the designers ever exuded their personal design style to me. There were some good pieces thrown down the runway during the season but nothing jaw-dropping. I didn't even pay attention to Irina (the winner) throughout the show until they started labeling her the bitch.

So last night's finale collections weren't as great as we've seen on the show before. Of course they are the best part of the season. We all want to see the best head on over to Bryant Park to show their potential. But eh... nothing was exciting or defining in their collections. I could've cared less about who won. It's hard to follow up Christian Siriano's finale collection.

May I post my favorite look of that one from almost 2 years ago?


Irina's was obviously the best. It shows more of a budding talent than the Althea Harper's or Carol Hannah's. I don't even think I've ever been a Carol Hannah fan except for the Christina Aguilera dress/challenge. Her finale piece was nothing short of my attempt to like Chloé: awful.

I enjoyed Irina's palette of black and black and black and black and beige. Her knits were great and so was the layering. I also liked her hats. They're not ugly but they're not mouth-watering (I crave fashion and would rather eat it than McDonalds). Another interesting concept was her weaved pieces. The finale dress is one big weaved gown. It looks pretty neat in a photo.

I did, however, dislike her t-shirts that got so much praise from Nina Garcia (Fashion Director for Marie Claire Magazine). They looked like '03/'04 cotton swabs made by Old Navy or the Gap.

I liked Althea's at first glance when they showed the pieces going down the runway. But when there's actually pictures for viewing purposes, I change my mind on how the pieces look. It's good but not great. I did pick out a few of my favorite pieces from each designer. I want to see tons more drama in future seasons of Project Runway; drama in the finale collections and challenge pieces. Season 07 must be grand.

Irina Shabayeva

Althea Harper

Carol Hannah Whitfield

No comments:

Post a Comment